What is MEW?
MEW or MyEtherWallet is an open source interface where you can generate your Ether private address. You can use it as a wallet to store your Ethereum. And you can access your Ether without logging in to any exchanges.
All you need is your private key.
Why use MEW?
If you have recently bought Ether, you may want to shift it to a secure place/wallet. Keeping Ether on the exchange may not be a good idea. So, without wasting any more time, let’s learn how to create an account with MyEtherWallet.
Steps to create an Ethereum wallet
- Visit www.myetherwallet.com
2. Enter a password and hit on Create New wallet
4. Save your Keystore. Download Keystore File. Click on I understand. Continue.
4. Save your private key. Print paper wallet and save multiple copies safely. Remeber, your private key is the key to your wallet. If you lose your private key, you will never be able to access your My Ether Wallet account.
5. Click on Save Your Address. You will be able to see something on the screen (as shown in the image below)
6. Enter the private address and you should now be able to access your Ethereum wallet.
Things to keep in mind after setting up your MEW account
- Never share your private key with anyone.
- If you want to receive Ethereum, send your public address.
- You can store multiple Ethereum based coins on MEW account.
If you can afford a hardware wallet, you can buy Nano S Ledger.
My Ether Wallet FAQ
Can I access my Ether from anywhere?
Yes, you can. You only require your private key.
Where can I get the public address?
You should be able to see it on the right-hand side once you log in to your MEW account.
I have lost my private key. Is there a way I can access my Ether?
No, you can’t.
My friend wants to transfer Ethereum to my account? Which address should I give?
Public address. Never ever give your private address (key) to anyone.